Birthday Anniversary of Bollywood Director Karan Johar on 25th May
Born: 25 May 1972
Occupation: Director, Producer, Television Host
Affiliated to: Dharma Productions
Karan Johar is a leading Bollywood director and producer. He directed successful films such as Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and My Name is Khan.
Karan Johar’s Biography
- He was born in Mumbai to Yash and Hiroo Johar.
- His father Yash Johar was a producer and had founded Dharma Productions.
- He made his debut as an actor in Indradhanush, a Doordarshan serial, in 1989.
- He was an assistant director on the sets of many films of Yash Chopra.
His directorial debut was the hit film Kuch Kuch Hota Hai in 1998.
- He was greatly influenced by Yash Chopra and cites his as a source of inspiration for his directorial work.
- He has continued to churn out hit movies over the years.
- He also has a successful chat show called Koffee with Karan(2004).
Karan Johar’s Career and Achievements
- Karan Johar’s directorial debut of Kuch Kuch Hota Hai was impressive. He was widely acclaimed by the critics and won several directorial awards for the movie.
- My Name is Khan was Karan’s fourth movie as director and received praise for its treatment of the sensitive topic. The film dealt with issues of identity and religion.
- In 2013, Karan Johar along with Zoya Akhtar, Anurag Kashyap, and Dibakar Banerjee directed the Bombay Talkies. The movie is an anthology production made to mark the hundredth year of Bollywood cinema. Although it was only a moderate success at the box office, it was a critical hit.
Karan Johar is the first Indian film maker to have been a Jury Member in the Miss World Competition, held in Warsaw, Poland on September 30, 2006.
- He took over Dharma Productions after his father’s death in 2004. It has had major success with films like Kal Ho Na Ho and Agneepath.
- He is good friends with Shahrukh Khan. He has worked as costume designer for the actor in films like Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayeneg and Main Hoo Na.
- He has one of the only successful celebrity talk shows in India. Koffee with Karan has aired for six seasons since 2004.
Karan Johar’s Awards and Recognition
- He received Filmfare for Best Director for his debut Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
- His second Filmfare for best director was for My Name is Khan in 2010, which was his fourth movie.
- He also won the Best Screenplay award for Kuck Kuch Hota Hai in 1999.
- The Filmfare Best Dialogue Award for Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham went to him in 2002.