Birthday Anniversary of Former Chief Minister NT Rama Rao on 28 May
Born: 28 May 1923
Occupation: Actor, Director, Producer, and Politician
Death: 18 January 1996
NT Rama Rao was the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh for over seven years. He was also a successful actor and director in Telugu cinema in the 50s and 60s.
NT Rama Rao’s Biography
NTR was born in the village of Nimmakuru in the Krishna District. He made his debut as an actor in the Telugu film Mana Desam in 1949. NTR gained wide acclaim for featuring as Hindu gods, especially Krishna and Ram. Some of his most successful films were Patali Bhairavi, Malliswari, and Nartanasala. NTR featured in around 300 Tollywood movies.
NT Rama Rao served as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh for five years between 1983 and 1995.
After quitting his film career, NTR entered the political arena by founding the Telugu Desam Party(TDP) in 1982. The emphasis of his politics was on a different Andhra identity. He served as Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh for five years between 1983 and 1995. He was in office for a total of around five years.
NT Rama Rao’s Career and Achievements
- NTR played the role of Krishna as many as 17 times in movies. Some of the most popular of these were Sri Krishnarjun Yudham and Daana Veera Soora Karna.
- He also played the character of Rama in films like Lava Kusha.
- NTR introduced the concept of rath yatras in election campaigning. In 1983, when TDP first contested elections, it won an absolute majority. NTR was the first non-Congress CM of the state.
- NTR was removed from office by the governor of Andhra Pradesh Ramlal in 1984. The pretext was that his finance minister had the support of the majority of MLAs. It was later shown not to be the case. He won back to power after a month.
NTR introduced the concept of rath yatras in election campaigning.
- In the 1984 general elections, the TDP secured a majority of LS seats in AP. It became the first regional party to be the main opposition party in Lok Sabha.
- NTR won a second term in 1985 and a third in 1994. However, just nine months after his win, he was removed from power in an internal power struggle by Chandrababu Naidu.
NT Rama Rao’s Awards and Honours
- Padma Shri for contributions to cinema in 1968.
- National Film Award for director in 1968 for Varakatnam.
- NTR National Award was instituted in honor of NTR to honor lifetime achievements in film.
- The award is given out by the Andhra Government.
Best Website for Competitive Exam