Indian Freedom Struggle – The First Stage of Indian Independence
The 19th-century revolt against the British was mainly led by the peasants and the tribals. Siddha and Kanha led the Santal Rebellion. Buddha Bhagat led the Coal Rebellion.
The Sannyasi Revolt
- The Sannyasi revolt belongs to West Bengal.
- This rebellion was suppressed by Warren Hastings.
The Munda revolt [1899 to 1900 AD] was led by Birsa Munda.
- Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay has mentioned the Sannyasi revolt in his novel Anand Math.
Political Organisation before Indian National Congress
- India’s first organized political organization was the Land Holders Society, established in Calcutta in 1838 AD, which was also called The Zamindari Association.
Dada Bhai Nauroji wrote ‘Poverty and Un British rule in India’, in which he presented an economic analysis of the exploitation of Indians by the British.
- In 1966 AD, Dada Bhai Nauroji founded the East India Association in London.
Dada Bhai Naroji is also called the great old man (the Grand Old Man of India).
- The Indian Association was established by Anand Mohan Bose and Surendranath Banerjee in Kolkata on July 26, 1876 AD.
Best GK Website for Competitive Exams